[OLPC-devel] Weekly work summary [7/12]

Eric Astor eastor1 at swarthmore.edu
Mon Jul 17 00:09:58 EDT 2006

OEPC: Tools for Wikipedia article selection and export

Git Tree: (web) http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/soc-oepc
          (git)  git://dev.laptop.org/projects/soc-oepc

Status update:

* Target format: The current conclusion is that both eBooks and OEPC
articles will be written in a variant of Markdown, which we're calling
Markenstein. I have a working draft of a parser for this language written in
Python, using the Martel parser generator; my parser is available as
markenstein.py in the Markenstein directory of my git repository. I'm also
attempting to learn to use BisonGen and see if it's possible to recode the
parser in its EBNF-derived format, since it could dramatically increase
performance while reducing the memory footprint of the parser.

Next week's plans:

* Continue development of Markenstein and the parsers for it, particularly
the BisonGen version.
* Attempt to extract the parser from WikiFilter, in case it could serve as
the basis for a wikitext-to-Markenstein converter.
* Experiment with writing a wikitext parser in Python, using Martel - I
realized that in writing the Markenstein parser, I may have already solved a
large fraction of the difficult parts of wikitext parsing.