[OLPC-devel] olpc flash program.

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Sat Jul 15 00:38:19 EDT 2006

I have a simple first cut at an olpc flash program.

DO NOT RUN THIS PROGRAM UNLESS YOU WANT TO FRY YOUR BOARD. I MEAN IT. IF
YOU RUN THIS, AND YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL, YOU'LL HAVE A NICE WALL HANGING
INSTEAD OF AN OLPC.

There, if you're still here, you are like me and have no sense.

It uses the EC. I am including:
inb so you can inb by hand
outb ...
kb.c, which can be used to disable keyboard. I am not sure it is needed.
and olpcflash, which tries to use the ec to flash. No guarantee it is
right, although a short session indicates it is reading flash correctly.

The manual on the EC is kind of tough to follow, so some of what I do is
guesswork.

OK, so this is a modified linuxbios flashrom program. It's still pretty
rough. What I am hoping is one of you can try this:

olpcflash -i 0x381 -V -r spi.img

and send my any/all output. My OLPC board seems to have died ... I don't
think due to this program, boards don't like being left on a table and
handled, they all go poof! at some point.

Anyways, um, I think I need another board .... how do I get one? How
much trouble am I in since I maybe drove my OLPC over a cliff :-)

thanks

ron