[OLPC-devel] Re: OLPC running on-line to ask for sound card advise

supat at supat.eu.org supat at supat.eu.org
Fri Jul 7 14:04:26 EDT 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Jordan Crouse wrote:

> On 06/07/06 22:03 -0800, supat at supat.eu.org wrote:
>> Hi Jordan Crouse,
>>
>> Reason I like the method on-line help because at time I start using linux
>> it was so hard so Bill C Reimer help me using logging in method to make it
>> to work correctly and wrote the how-to later.
>>
>> Because the solution may work on one pc but not on another.
>
> I appreciate that.  But in this case, we're dealing with known hardware and
> known software - so likely this is a minor configuration problem that we'll
> be able to solve by examination.
>
> Also, if you post your logs, and we solve your issue, then
> the solution will be available in the mailing list archives for others who
> might have the same problem.  I prefer a transparent process, so that we can
> all share in the knowledge.
>
> Jordan
>
> --
> Jordan Crouse
> Senior Linux Engineer
> Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
> <www.amd.com/embeddedprocessors>

Hi Jordan,

The hardware problems is not my interest since the beginning.
I got OLPC mainboard on June 26, 2006 and simply plug-in my NGUD-11.4 and
it work w/o problem but need usb LAN.

I did not know someone already made usb8xxx to work correctly already.
So, the first job I did is trying to make it work firstly on my own by
using ndiswrapper under NGUD-11.4 and hopeless because no appropiate .sys
exist. I try mrv8k and did not work on the same reason. Until someone told
me I need the right firmware under usb8388.ko So, I did compiled it and it
work ok on my own using kernel from kernel.org because I do not know it
has favor to use only fedora in here.

For sound problems, because you say s/o already make it work so, I will
not touch this part any more.

I did probe all existing sound.ko and it look like below:

bash-3.1# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_ac97_codec         96097  0
snd_ac97_bus            6465  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_ak4531_codec       12865  0
snd_usb_audio          78913  0
snd_usb_usx2y          32705  0
snd_usb_lib            20673  2 snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_usx2y
snd_rawmidi            29505  1 snd_usb_lib
snd_hwdep              13893  2 snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_usx2y
snd_seq_dummy           8005  0
snd_seq_oss            37057  0
snd_seq_midi_event     11713  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                59185  5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device         12877  4
snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            43857  0
snd_pcm                87621  4
snd_ac97_codec,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_usx2y,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              28357  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         14409  2 snd_usb_usx2y,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss          21697  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd                    59845  13
snd_ac97_codec,snd_ak4531_codec,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_usx2y,snd_rawmidi,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore              13985  1 snd
ipv6                  263777  14
dm_mirror              26897  0
dm_mod                 63961  1 dm_mirror
sg                     38365  0
usb8xxx                80948  0
ohci_hcd               25437  0
ext3                  135241  1
jbd                    62677  1 ext3
usb_storage            73121  1
sd_mod                 24384  2
scsi_mod              140392  3 sg,usb_storage,sd_mod
uhci_hcd               27725  0
ehci_hcd               36429  0
mtdchar                11333  0
mtdblock                9729  0
mtd_blkdevs            14145  1 mtdblock
mtdpart                14913  0
mtdcore                10885  5 mtdchar,mtd_blkdevs,mtdpart
bash-3.1# find -name usb8xxx.ko -print
./lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2289_FC6/kernel/drivers/net/usb8xxx.ko

Ofcause, I did use .img from your site on your request.
But it cannot produced sound even I forced to mknod on sound dev as
below:

crw-r--r--    1 root     sys       14,   3 ¡.¤. 6  2006 dsp
crw-r--r--    1 root     sys       14,   0 ¡.¤. 6  2006 mixer
crw-r--r--    1 root     sys       14,   1 ¡.¤. 6  2006 sequencer
crw-r-----    1 root     sys       14,   8 ¡.¤. 6  2006 sequencer2

After reboot, all sound devices on /dev always gone.

For me, to make usb8388.ko to work correctly is sufficient for me to
continue my work in making your developed softwares to work correctly in
Thailand.

And I did start to make Thai features like date and time in Thai to work
as above list :)

I will put the .img for download after I work out sufficient progress.

regards,
supat