/proc/device-tree is working

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Dec 26 23:05:32 EST 2006

On Wednesday 27 December 2006 04:50, David Kahn wrote:

> Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>
> > Do you use the fs/proc/proc_devtree.c code right now with i386 specific
> > additions for populating the tree, or did you write a completely
> > separate implementation of /proc/device-tree?
>
> We wrote a separate simple implementation of /proc/device-tree
> that just calls the OF cif. powerpc does some odd and complex
> stuff that wasn't needed and didn't really fit well.

Ah, so you keep OF alive while Linux is running? That is something
we haven't managed to do on powerpc, though it is certainly desirable.

The fs/proc/proc_devtree.c does not interact much with the powerpc
specific code regarding device_nodes. I believe it is already shared
with sparc{,64}, which uses a rather different abstraction for OF.
It does however assume that OF has been overwritten during boot and that
the linux representation of the device tree (struct device_node based,
not the sysfs one) is all you have.

	Arnd <><