System software concall minutes - 2006-12-19

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Dec 20 19:07:50 EST 2006

Hi Greg,

this discussion about device tree representation in /proc versus /sys
came up during OLPC development discussions. A few words on the
background: Linux has had OpenFirmware support for PowerPC for a long
time. The OLPC machine is an AMD Geode (x86 arch) which uses LinuxBIOS
with OpenFirmware.
Since you're the sysfs and device tree expert and we want our kernel
modifications to end up upstream, could you give some advice on the
points below?

Mitch Bradley wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>> Mitch Bradley wrote:
>>
>>> Mitch:
>>>  Code for device tree via /proc nearly ready
>>
>> Are you sure that you want to introduce new files in /proc which are
>> not process-related? You will never get such a change merged upstream.
>>
> I'm not sure of anything when it comes to Linux these days.  It seems
> like everything is a political football.
>
>> What speaks against /sys for that purpose?
>>
> The intention was to do /sys at some point, but we had a /proc example
> in the PowerPC arch to use as a model.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel