Fwd: OLPC Laptop - some suggestions for the software

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 19 17:38:16 EST 2006

Thomas Müller wrote:
> Thouht that a standard product
> get the low price and not a diversity strategy, each country an
> indovidual laptop. so linux is free.

Sorry, I'm not sure I can parse this.

> 366 MHZ ? then windows woun´t run anyway.

That's incorrect.

> Change the processor to 500 MhZ

We will not be making changes to the hardware spec for generation 1.

> Then we can take mozilla and OOO suites on linux.

Running OO.o on a 500 MHz machine is really just as bad as on a 366 MHz
one: pretty much unusable.

> a documentation how the mesh is working?

Not yet, but essentially, we're running an implementation of 802.11s in
a dedicated wifi processor.

> What do you think of the
> serverless instant messenger Cspace.in?

It isn't really appropriate for our use case. We'd have to hack it very
extensively to be able to use it, and we've instead opted to implement
the relevant functionality ourselves.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D