initial rural range test

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Wed Dec 13 17:03:32 EST 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 01:44:10PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> The big issues they had seen was that the chicken wire acts as a good
> faraday cage for B/G ranges (do not know about newer ones) and special
> attenuators were added to the top for wireless to work.

I can't see how attenuators would have worked.  I can imagine passive
reflectors or re-radiators might work.

Chicken wire comes in various sizes, at least three sizes here, that are
significantly different as far as wavelength is concerned.  The sizes I
recall are 1cm, 3cm, and 7cm diameter hexagonal openings.  It probably
matters which sort you observed.

This is an evironmental consideration for deployment.

For my testing, I hope to exclude it as a constant part of the test ...
the square mesh wire in the foreground of the photographs has holes
about 10cm square, and is only 1m high, below the height of the access
point.  Fresnel effects will occur.

I suspect that there might be an inverse relationship between the
populations that OLPC hope to help and the availability of chicken wire
to the point that it is used in boundary and house construction.  Metal
fabrication is expensive compared to the labour cost of house repair.