initial rural range test

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 15:44:10 EST 2006

On 12/12/06, James Cameron <quozl at us.netrek.org> wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I've three BTest-1 units, running olpc193_A54.zip from Mitch.  I did a
> quick test this afternoon using a WOAP54G access point mounted on a step
> ladder on a remote farm.  The access point antenna was 2m above the
> ground.

Cool tests!

> Things I'm yet to do ...
>
> - try the other two units, to normalise the test,

Is the mesh network available yet? I was wondering what tests can be
done via this way.

Another thing that I have found in the US Southwest, Indian Pueblos,
and northern Mexico region is the impact of chicken wire. Houses are
an adobe mixture built over sometimes concrete blocks or adobe bricks
with a chicken wire fencing to give the structures a lot of
"standing".  This kind of construction looks to be similar to stuff I
have seen in documentaries for Central America, South America, parts
of Africa, and Pakistan. [Sorry I have not been able to leave the USA
so do not want to assume.]

There are several projects to run wireless out to pueblo/reservation
schools that I had seen, and I had seen one just to run it to homes in
the southwest were running a DSL/cable line is unprofitable. The big
issues they had seen was that the chicken wire acts as a good faraday
cage for B/G ranges (do not know about newer ones) and special
attenuators were added to the top for wireless to work.