Feedback on BTest-1 Unit

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Mon Dec 4 15:32:09 EST 2006

On 04/12/06 13:16 -0600, Richard Smith wrote:
> Chris Ball wrote:
>
> > Mitch points out that jffs2 takes a few seconds to mount, so we might
> > partition the NAND, and use FAT for a small partition with this memory
> > dump in.  Our startup time could drop to just a few seconds, and we
> > could compress the RAM image.
> >
> > Has anyone worked on anything like this before?  Any pointers?
>
> The suspend2 patches do most of this already.  You can specify a default
> suspend image that gets loaded on boot.  Kernel help says its for use in
> embedded systems to make the system come back up in a default loaded state.

Thats the general gist of the OLS talk.  The challenge is in figuring out
the optimal image.  We don't want to include X and sugar in the image due to
the keyboard, language and font differences - and I would argue that all of
userland is probably not useful to us.  So then we we'll need to take care
to only snapshot a pristine version of the kernel memory without anything
plugged into USB, etc, etc.  Its not impossible, and its probably practical
with suspend2, but like you said, its going to take tweaking.

Definitely something that should be considered though - could we start by
querying Nigel Cunningham and the other suspend2 folks for some advice?

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Senior Linux Engineer