running under Parallels under OS X

Owen Mathews dembayago at allmail.net
Sat Dec 2 14:56:48 EST 2006

I would love to get set up on XO so I can explore the software and
see what kind of content I could help generate. Unfortunately I'm
having trouble getting Parallels to cooperate. I followed the
instructions at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_images_for_emulation but
I'm having the following problem:

The VM starts fine, goes through all the boot procedures (I notice
only one error that my untrained eye could spot: failed to load /dev/
md0, which doesn't seem like a showstopper to me), and gets to the X
Windows screen with the login dialog. At the point I'm prompted for
my nickname, I can't get the VM to recognize any keyboard or mouse
input. Earlier in the proceedings, I can use the keyboard (at the
GRUB screen), so my guess is that there's something wrong with a driver.

The only other thing I can guess is that I need to tweak that X11
configuration as noted at the bottom of the page, but I can't mount
the image on my Mac (it says "unrecognized filesystem"), so I can't
see whether that's the problem.

Any advice?

			-- Owen