[OLPC-devel] Secure BIOS on the OLPC

Krishna Sankar (ksankar) ksankar at cisco.com
Tue Aug 29 14:05:38 EDT 2006

Actually, I kind of like this thought process, with some caveats.

A)	We should not expect 6-year olds to reflash BIOS nor expect them
to know the difference between phishing and normal stuff.

B)	BIOS reflashing should be an adult/supervised activity -
possibly by parents or teachers or local computer person of some sort

C)	We do not want to open the machine to reflash the BIOS and
jumpers can get lost.

D)	While we do want these to be purposeful machines, with the
demeanor of a toaster, I do think we would need to update the BIOS, for
security reasons, fixing bugs or even enhancements. So we do need a way
out, that is scalable and coherent.

E)	In short, supporting Ivan (for a change ;o)) we do need a
mechanism to securely reflash the BIOS.

F)	Policies etc will rule the mechanics - how the security
materials are inserted into the system, carried thru during the
lifecycle and replaces as and when necessary

G)	So long as we can a place for a public key which we trust for a
set of sequences (like updating the BIOS) and a method to safely update
the BIOS we are in good shape, me thinks. But we definitely need to
document the sequences, the various bit buckets we trust and the level
of trust we place on them.

H)	Naturally as John and others point out, we will never have a
fool-proof system, we do the best we can - collectively and improve on
it.

Cheers
<k/>