[OLPC-devel] Secure BIOS on the OLPC

William Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Tue Aug 29 13:07:45 EDT 2006

This machine is for children.  Are we trying to give kids basic access to information, or create yet another platform for OS experimentation?  There is a desperate need for the former and I'm excited about helping to fill it.  The latter I could care less about.

This machine needs to Just Work.  That argues for treating the BIOS as Something You Really Don't Want to Touch after the machine is shipped.

I vote for making it *really* hard to reflash the BIOS.  Like you have to open something, or insert a jumper, or something.