[OLPC-devel] [Fwd: Re: Ext3 setting incompatible file system bit on unclean shutdown.]

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Aug 28 16:25:23 EDT 2006

Marcelo,

We checked with Ted T'so on whether ignoring the compatible flag on
system mount patch idea would be hazardous as a fix to the linuxBIOS
booting after unclean-shutdown problem we have; as you can see from the
attached mail, the answer seems to be "no worse than grub is already".

Would you generate us a patch for the BIOS payload Linux ext2
implementation to ignore the file system compatibility flag on a
read-only mount?  We can put that in buildrom (there is no intention of
mainstreaming this patch, or reason to do so that I can see).

Then we can mount the file system and do the kexec reliably (or at least
as reliably as Grub would do anyway).
                              Thanks greatly,
                                     - Jim
--