[OLPC-devel] Testing LinuxBIOS installation release

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu Aug 24 12:30:35 EDT 2006

Mitch Bradley wrote:

> These errors cause the system to be so sluggish that it is virtually
> unusable.

Welcome To USB-Land, where all standards are ... flexible.

Even on my older laptops, the variation in this type of thing is
incredible. USB, in the general case, doesn't work. keys need hubs, or
won't work with hubs, or sometimes work with hubs, or .... it's a
nightmare. USB-based KVMs? Well, they may work, on a good day, with the
right wind.

I wish I had a good answer, but with USB, there is no good answer.

:-(

So, OLPC is going to have to have a 'known good' list for USB hardware,
I think. I don't see a way out. I have a 512MB PNY dongle that worked
"for a while" on my t41, and works fine on OLPC; a 1GB sandisk that
works fine on the laptop, though only with powered hub; same sandisk
works fine on OLPC WITHOUT powered hub; and so on.

arg.

ron