[OLPC-devel] where we stand as of the end of aug 23 re: LinuxBIOS

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Thu Aug 24 10:32:02 EDT 2006

Mitch Bradley wrote:
> The error messages always start to appear right after
>
>   Starting system message bus:
>
> I wonder if that is significant?

The system message bus, as ominous as it sounds, is just a simple
program that forwards calls to other programs.  Why it would trigger
those errors - I have no idea.

> ---- Oh great.  It has stopped failing now.  What I did:
>
> Logged in on VT2.  (I took a long time, because of all the errors)
>
> ps -ax;   then killed the dbus-daemon (no help)
> tried to kill various X-related processes, hard to tell if that helped.
> commented out the "once" line (runs prefdm) at the end of /etc/inittab,
> then "kill -1 1"
> Then the error messages stopped.

Are we hitting some memory limit?  Some I/O limit?  Hmm, I think that
the dbus daemon might do a decent amount of I/O on startup, reading
config files and whatnot.  Maybe it pushes it over some limit?

--Chris