[OLPC-devel] Testing LinuxBIOS installation release

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Wed Aug 23 04:41:51 EDT 2006

I pulled Jordan's latest buildrom tree, built LinuxBIOS , and loaded it
into PLCC FLASH for testing.

It worked fine.  The "memory exhausted" error seems to be well and truly
gone.

I downloaded OS build 75 and dd'ed it to a USB key (SanDisk Cruzer Mini
1.0GB).

It booted, but the startup took a Lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time.  There are
scores of
messages like:

end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 383248
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 382816
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 107510
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 105236
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 107036

There is no particular pattern to the sector numbers; they are all over
the map.

The messages started appearing after the "Starting system message bus:"
message.

The "dmesg" log contains hundreds of occurrences of the sequence:

usb 1-2.2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4.
PM: Removing info for No Bus:usbdev1.4_ep81
PM: Removing info for No Bus:usbdev1.4_ep01
PM: Adding info for No Bus:usbdev1.4_ep81
PM: Adding info for No Bus:usbdev1.4_ep01

The USB key is connected through a powered hub, as are the keyboard,
mouse, and network adapter.

I tried again with the USB key directly connected to the board (other
devices on powered hub), same result.

These errors cause the system to be so sluggish that it is virtually
unusable.