[OLPC-devel] Teleconference information for software status meeting tonight. (note change in time).

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Aug 22 15:51:37 EDT 2006

OLPC software teleconference.

Please send me agenda items for discussion.

I'd like to pool every one's knowledge of how to test hardware under Linux: Quanta
needs help here, and I've gone as far as I can by myself on this topic; we need a
more interactive discussion to make sure we understand what is needed.  Mitch will
likely be going to Taiwan soon to help Quanta on this topic, and I'd like him well
armed with our collective knowledge on top of Mitch's formidable experience.

The strange "out of memory" problem David was having was found and fixed; let's do
a final sanity check this evening about readiness for conversion.

Agenda:
       Status, all around.
       Manufacturing diagnostics. (See below).
       Readiness for LinuxBIOS conversion.

Tuesday: the time is 18:00PDT/19:00MDT/20:00CDT/21:00 EDT/01:00 GMT
                  /9:00 Taipei

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=8&day=22&year=2006&hour=21&min=0&sec=0&p1=43

DIAL IN:
  From  the United States: 866-213-2185
  From Outside the United States:  1-609-454-9914

access code: 8069698

problems? Call customer care
800-526-2655 or 205-206-2301

I've previously been corresponding with Stiven and Ray at Quanta on how to replace many
current tests with Linux based tests.  We need to be able to do this, as booting DOS to use the tools
they have been using for testing would require reflashing the serial flash an extra
time (due to no VESA in LinuxBIOS).

Here's areas where I've come up short for knowledge of testing tools:
  CPU diagnostics (e.g. registers, type, speed) (though some of this information
       shows up through Linux, I do not know if Quanta just wants verification
       or actual testing.
  Memory testing - we have a number of existing diagnostics under Linux: what do
       people have experience with first hand?
  Motherboard testing
       LED's, system timer, RTC, CMOS, keyboard controller, PCI
  USB speed testing: will the machine go at full speed?

I have a more extensive list we can go over.
                           Thanks,
                                    - Jim

--
Jim Gettys