[OLPC-devel] GPL compliance for buildrom

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Tue Aug 22 12:55:13 EDT 2006

Actually, the upgrade procedure that I documented does indeed include
Richard's image.  Or more precisely,
a slightly enhanced version of it that I created.

My enhancements consisted of:

a) Moving linuxbios.rom into the initrd image so that it's not necessary
to mount the boot media
as part of the procedure.  This also fixes a problem I was having, in
which the olpcflash command
was unable to open the linuxbios.rom file, even though it was mounted.

b) Creating simple shell scripts "flashlb" and "restore" to collapse the
required command sequences
into one-word, nothing to get wrong, zingers.  This also allowed me to
add a small measure of
recoverability that is useful for testing - you can go back to
InsydeBIOS if you do it before rebooting.

c) Publishing the image in uncompressed form to avoid the "bunzip"
step.  The bzip form saves only 1 MB out of 5.
An md5 sum is provided so you can check the image.

The process that I used to create the enhanced version was:

1) Mount Richard's image on a host system
2) Use gunzip and cpio to unpack the initrd into a directory tree
3) Copy the linuxbios.rom file into that tree
4) Add the shell scripts to the tree
5) Use cpio and gzip to recreate initrd from the directory tree
6)