[OLPC-devel] Re: Not so good news (Was: good news)

Carl-Daniel U. Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sat Aug 19 22:13:56 EDT 2006

Guys,

I'm back. Any progress on the issues below? I tried to read all the mail sent to olpc-devel since I left, but I couldn't find any solution/bugfix.

Eric Biederman wrote:

> "Carl-Daniel Hailfinger" <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> writes:
>
> > Eric,
> >
> > can you take a look at this? It seems the interactions between elfboot
> > and nrv2b compressed payload are slightly buggy.
> [...]
> > The things I found fishy in bootlog.txt are:
> >
> > n_type: 00000002 n_name(8): ELFBoot  n_desc(7): unknown
> >                                                 ^^^^^^^
> > (the initrd?)
>
> This is the linux version.  Apparently mkelfImage couldn't
> figure out which version of linux you were feeding it.

Hm. It should have recognized the vmlinux... maybe the version string is too long? Are there any limits in mkelfImage for version strings?

> [...]
> > Dropping non PT_LOAD segment
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > (why is that segment there at all if we don't want to load it?)
>
> It's meta information about what we are loading.
>
> >     83:stream_skip() - overflowed source buffer
> > (that means either rom, bytes or rom_end are wrong.)
>
> Ok.

Richard? Did my debugging patch spit out anything useful?

I realize you all have been busy to make moving to LinuxBIOS as easy as possible which is great. Since flashing now works easily, I'll move to LinuxBIOS on SPI myself and try to get lzma working for PLCC. However, the nrv2b payload compression has to work before I can proceed with lzma.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel