[OLPC-devel] how to update bios to linuxbios

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 15 18:47:38 EDT 2006

stephen pearce wrote:
> Hi
> 1/
> Could someone tell me or direct me to a description of howto update the
> olpc development board bios from  Insy...  to linuxbios?

I think it's on the wiki, will try to find it.

> 2/
> What is the part number/ description for the socketed flash rom which
> goes into the development board so I can obtain one

49lf008a, I got mine from avnet, they were VERY helpful. They have 1000
parts in stock at present. 480 643 6682

> 3/
> Can the red hat image be writen to usb flash rom and then used to boot
> the development board .. if so apart from copying the image .. dd to a
> usb flash drive what else is necessary to make a bootable image ..
> also is the source available for this so one could produce a reduced
> image by removing some of the code

the red hat kernels, at present, don't want to boot under linuxbios,
don't know why. I think there is a dependence in their kernels on insyde
bios.

ron