[OLPC-devel] Re: Minutes: BIOS teleconference Wednesday Evening Boston Time.

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Aug 14 21:34:35 EDT 2006

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> The idea is to have LinuxBIOS support LZMA compression, although Linux
> could do that by itself (BTW, I fail to see the advantage of having
> LinuxBIOS support LZMA instead of the kernel).

yes, but: you're assuming our target is always linux -- it's not. In
some of my nodes, it's plan 9, and i don't have any desire to put that
self-unpacking code in plan 9. So, that's our reason -- all the world's
not a linux :-)

>>** Is mem= needed? Jordan thinks yes.
>>
>>Ron: I think it's only needed due to a bug in the driver or the way the
>>kernel comes up. I have no objection to it.
>

> More details please?

if you build the cs553x driver into the kernel, not a module, AND you DO
NOT have a mem= line, you get an oops on the cs553x init. If the cs553x
is a module, OR you set mem=, no oops. Weird, eh? :-)

Marcelo, you're supposed to be out sick! I hope you are feeling ok!

thanks

ron