[OLPC-devel] Re: Minutes: BIOS teleconference Wednesday Evening Boston Time.

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Aug 14 18:40:58 EDT 2006

* Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti at redhat.com> [060815 00:06]:
> The idea is to have LinuxBIOS support LZMA compression, although Linux
> could do that by itself (BTW, I fail to see the advantage of having
> LinuxBIOS support LZMA instead of the kernel).

because the kernel is not the only part in rom that can gain from
compression. Parts of LinuxBIOS are compressed already. VSA, too.
The LZMA-inside-LinuxBIOS discussion is based on the idea to use
one firmware-wide compression algorithm that handles all components
that might gain you flash space from compression.

I agree for the OLPC the kernel makes the largest chunk, but if
you can easily gain a couple of kilobytes by sharing the decompressor
and using a profitable decompressor for everything, its worth
the effort.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613