[OLPC-devel] A little confused on using the Qemu Images ...

Michael Reith michael.reith at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 07:28:25 EDT 2006

Hi Guys,

I've been quietly following the OLPC for a few months now and would like to
run the current build in a virtual environment to work out if I could do
anything to help.

My big question is ....

Is it supposed to be possible to run the Qemu images pretty much anywhere,
or is the actual laptop hardware required?

Currently I'm trying to run the Qemu images on my desktop (Running Suse 10.1).
When I load the images (Both the Developer and the normal one) I get strange
issues...  For the normal image - it boots and I select the "OLPC Simulator"
from the grub menu as per the instructions but then it shows a X windows
with my cursor, then it returns to run level 3.  After about 10 seconds it
switches back to X with only my cursor showing and then switches back to run
level 3 again.  I've left this for about an hour with no change :(

With the Developer image, it boots and I select the "OLPC Simulator" and it
loads into the X environment however all it shows is a green web browser
that I can surf the net with.  Nothing else is shown and I can't even close
the web browser down.

To use the Qemu images supplied on the Wiki, does one require the actual
hardware? Or is it my setup in some way?  Should I be using Fedora Core 5
instead of Suse for my desktop?

The version of Qemu included in Suse 10.1 is 0.8.0, but I have tried
downloading the latest version (0.8.2) and the result is the same :(

Am I doing something stupidly obvious?

Thanks!