[OLPC-devel] Re: OLPC need to do something on VGA speed :(

supat at supat.eu.org supat at supat.eu.org
Sun Aug 6 09:57:49 EDT 2006

Hi Jordan Crouse,

I did follow your sugession using x11-drv-amd that comes in Rawhide.
And I did not see any different to what I did before.
(I use amd in org.conf by now)

The speed of VGA did not increase.

You can verify me by:

telnet 158.108.200.198 110
login: zxc
passwd: love4linux

I am sure I did not do any thing wrong.

OLPC do has problem on VGA with sound speed.

w/o enable sound then huge .swf and .mpg can be played by mozilla w/o
problem.

I go back to use pentium 90 in 1995 (my very old server) and did the same
to that pc and it can play huge .swf with sound w/o problem.

That old pc used s3 VGA and SB16 sound blaster as sound device.

If I play OLPC with sound then in few minutes after playing huge .swf (338
MB) then the network will crash. And I have to do follow command:

ifconfig eth0 down
rmmod usb8xxx
modprobe usb8388

To bring back the eth0 (wireless)

Please investigate and realized what is going on.

IMO: We need to do s/t on VGA and sound and eth0.
It may be because SRAM using in VGA is too slow to be used to play huge
movies.

I see this phenomena in old VGA that has slow speed.
I solve this problem by using vncreflector to old pc and sound become
disable.

regards,
supat