[OLPC-devel] Re: removing padding from compressed vsa

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 1 22:55:51 EDT 2006

Carl-Daniel U. Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the 64 k VSA is currently compressed with nrv2b to about 35 k, but then it is padded again to 64k. So the savings are exactly zero. Is there any chance to change that? It would give us another 31 k of free space.

not until such time as we are certain that it has no further need to
grow. That size was chosen for a reason -- we expected it to grow, but
were not sure. It may grow again, if a bug fix is needed. I don't want
to drop it to, e.g., 35k at this point.

What we can do, however, when we are sure it is as big as it will get,
is drop the padding to 48k or so. But we need to leave room for the
inevitable bug fix that may grow it past 35k.

I would like to make a request: let's slow down just a bit on all these
changes. I think we're rushing some of this stuff, and we just got
buildrom stabilized. You have to be very, very careful when shipping a
bios, and I'm growing uncomfortable with the pace of changes from just
today. We have to leave room for future bug fixes.

thanks

ron