[OLPC-devel] Re: good news

Carl-Daniel U. Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Aug 1 10:35:45 EDT 2006

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> > Jordan Crouse wrote:
> >
> > > So if its cool with everybody,  I'll put this patch into my local
> > > patch set, and await the LinuxBIOS patch with great anticipation.
> >
> > yes. buildrom works now. we'll work with the lzma mods but not release
> > until it is solid.
>
> Updated patch attached. This patch will build a lzma compressed ELF
> payload while still leaving the existing build unmodified. It will give
> you an estimate of how much more you can cram into the kernel and initrd
> before space runs out.
>
> That only leaves the LinuxBIOS patch to be done.

I noticed that switching to nrv2b compression alone will save >20 kb. And nrv2b is already supported by LinuxBIOS.

If you apply the attached patch and change line 7 in work/linuxbios/LinuxBIOSv2/targets/olpc/rev_a/Config.1M.lb to

option CONFIG_COMPRESSED_ROM_STREAM=1

you _should_ get a working ROM.

Can someone please test this, preferably not on the builtin flash (in case it doesn't boot)?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel