[Community] media outreach for g1g1, and a community pr gang

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Fri Sep 26 12:50:25 EDT 2008

Thanks for the comments, Jackie.

We can definitely mirror a press room on the wiki, once those media
are available, but you're right about ease of use being key.   I'd
love to see it on both sites.  Can you put a zip file of the photos
and releases you have online somewhere?  If you can get those to Seth,
he can start putting them up.

> QUESTION - I'm not clear on what community you are referring to.  The
> Open Source community?  Educators community?  Both?  Others?  You have
> to be more specific.

Our community of interest.  There are many focused subsets, and we
should be specific for any particular pitch, but the people motivated
to make their own materials for and about OLPC come from all across
the spectrum - from high school students to talented G1G1 grandmas to
professionals in education, multimedia development, social networking,
and international development.  (And I am only listing groups that
have already contributed something on our [[presentations]] or
[[posters]] lists.)

> I think it would be great to have a small group of people who can push
> OLPC news out into various communities.  However, these people should
> not be talking to any mainstream media - national, regional or local.

The group I have in mind would not be doing any pushing out -- just
help with language and translation of existing releases.

However, I would imagine that many releases and publicity ideas will
come from the community, including from talented and creative people
who are not PR experts.  If this is NOT the case, who will speak to
the media in French or Spanish or German?

> Inexperience people should not do PR -- especially in an age when local
> news can become national or even global news very quickly on line.

Is there no place for community PR, distinct from and complementary to
centralized professional PR?

> Other than that one request, I think the idea is great.

OK.  The idea to set up the group is to help with /internal/
communication, and independent of figuring out who press can contact
in various languages -- which we should address, but not urgently.

Regards,
SJ