[olpc-help] [ekindling] DepEd launches laptop for every pupil program

OLPC Community Support community-support at lists.laptop.org
Tue Dec 7 09:33:37 EST 2010

The pictures had a special meaning for me.  I was on Mindoro for several
months in 1945.  I was in the 96th Infantry Division.  We made the
landings on Leyte and Okinawa, and after the fighting ended on Okinawa
we went to Mindoro to rest up and receive replacements.  We were warned
that Mindoro had the highest malaria rate in the Philippines, and I
remember it as an end-of-the world place.  There were many half-wild
cattle, which belonged to people in Manila, not the locals.  It is where
I saw three pygmies, each wearing only a breech cloth and carrying a bow
and a quiver of arrows.  They came down from the hills to seek
protection from Japanese soldiers who were settling in and stealing
pygmy women.

Marvin Margoshes