[olpc-help] I think my laptop is defective

Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Nov 24 15:33:15 EST 2008

Dear Melanie,

Did anybody help you with wireless?  Have you tried the manual at
http://laptop.org/manual or http://www.lulu.com/content/4439260 ?  Check
its "Network" chapter especially!

Also, here are some solid tips from our dedicated OLPC Volunteers'
"Grandparents Guide to Connecting to the Internet" :

    Hello!

    Thank you for your support and interest in OLPC. I'm sorry you are
    having trouble connecting to the Internet.

    The XO laptop has the ability for wireless connection to the
    internet. One must however, obtain an Internet Service Provider
    (ISP) by purchasing Internet service from your cable or phone
    company, subscription to a hot spot or use a public non-for-fee
    location. The XO only supports wireless broadband Internet and not
    dial-up or wired Internet. OLPC does not provide Internet service.

    If you have Internet service and have already tried the information at:

    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Connectivity

    and:

    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Troubleshooting_Guide

    ...and still need help, visit the Live Chat at
    http://forum.laptop.org/chat where Volunteers will try to find the
    answer you need to get going.

    First you will need to know if your wireless connection connection
    is locked and, if so, what the "key" (code) is. You will also need
    to know if the code is a passphrase, Hex code, or ASCII code. You
    don't need to know what these mean, just which one you have.

    You may be able to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to
    get this information. When you talk to them, ask also if your
    protection is a WPA or WEP. If it is WEP, no problem. If it is WPA,
    ask them if there is a way you can turn it off at your router. If
    so, you should be able to turn it off and get the XO to connect. Ask
    also about turning it back on when finished.

    When you have this information. Turn on your computer. It will look
    for a nearby Internet signal. A little form to fill in will appear
    in the center of the screen with the name of a nearby connection. If
    it doesn't appear, go to the neighborhood view by pressing the 3rd
    button from the left in the top row. Then click on the circle that
    seems to be your router (it will have a name showing) and wait for
    the sign-in screen to appear. It will have a place to choose the
    kind of code and a place to enter it. Enter the code, choose its
    type from the pull down list and click "OK".

    In a few seconds, the computer will either connect or come back with
    the form to be filled in again. Sometimes it will take several times
    before the connection is successful (Some people have had it take as
    many as 8 times to get on). Each time you re-enter the code, be sure
    to reset the type of code as well.

    When it is successful in connecting, the rim on the circle next to
    the battery icon will turn light grey or white (or it may look like
    it is enclosed in parenthesis). If you think it is connected, go
    back to the home view (press the 5th button from the left on the top
    row). Click on the little globe symbol along the bottom of the
    screen (or in the ring in the center) to open the browser. A Google
    screen will appear. Put in a search term to verify that it is
    connected. Then continue on using the Internet.

    Finally, you can also try going to a place where you know other
    laptops can connect: coffee shops, schools, and libraries are good
    starting places. Often these are not protected with a password or
    have a very simple one that makes it easy to connect.

    If none of these instructions work, email <help AT laptop.org> with
    what you've tried and what you have found out about your setup, and
    we'll try to help.

    Thanks!
    The OLPC Support Volunteers