[olpc-help] SOFTWARE UPDATE QUESTION

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 08:07:11 EST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 11:02 PM, JOSEPH L ANELLO <nubicular1 at msn.com> wrote:

>  *I'VE READ RECENTLY THAT THERE WAS GOING TO BE A SOFTWARE UPDATE THAT
> EXTENDED THE BATTERY LIFE OF MY NEW OLPC UP TO 10 HOURS. THAT WOULD BE
> GREAT!*
> *WHERE DO I FIND UPDATE INFORMATION SUCH AS THIS. I'D LIKE TO HAVE THE
> LATEST SOFTWARE ALL THE TIME.*
> **
> *HOW DO I DO IT?*
> *THERE'S SO MUCH TO LEARN.....*
> **
> **
> *THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOU HELP/INPUT.*
> **
> **
> *J.ANELLO*

The latest software release is build number 656.

If you leave your XO turned-on, plugged-in, and connected to the Internet,
it will
eventually check-in, see the new version, and download/upgrade
automatically.

If you want to do this manually, the process is documented here:

-   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Update_paths

In a nutshell, you use the Terminal Activity and type:

su -l <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Su_-l>
olpc-update *656
*

(That first line has a space, a minus, and a lowercase letter "L")

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com