[olpc-help] proliferating media names on Build 703

Bruce MacLennan mclennan at cs.utk.edu
Tue Jun 24 20:53:12 EDT 2008

I have been using Build 703 for a week or so now.  It is still a bit of an
adventure.  The power management is certainly nice, but I still haven't
got all my add-ons working and Sugar seems to have some quirks.

One odd one is that I seem to get proliferating names for my SD card
(which I leave in all the time).  So, on Build 656 it was just
/media/disk.  But now after a while I see /media/disk, /media/disk-1,
/media/disk-2, ...  Only the highest numbered one is the actual SD card.
If I do an ls on the others, I get gibberish.  The extra names may cause
df to hang (can't even ctrl-C out of it).  I'm not sure what causes the
extra names to appear (waking up from suspend?), but I can't get rid of
them except by rebooting.  (I'm aware of the problem of SD cards getting
corrupted, but my SD card seems to be fine, accessed either through the
Journal or through Terminal.)

I recently noticed a similar problem with the USB stick.  It is named MAC,
but I saw both /media/MAC and /media/MAC_1 (interestingly, with an
underscore rather than a dash), but only the second name was the actual
USB stick.  When I unmounted it from the journal, both names disappeared.
So far as I know, the XO did not suspend while the stick was plugged in.

Any idea what is going on or what I should do about it?  Is this a known
problem?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Bruce