[olpc-help] problems with update.1 not updating...

Bruce MacLennan mclennan at cs.utk.edu
Sun Jun 15 19:38:46 EDT 2008

With some trepidation I decided to update today from build 656 to
update.1 (build 703).  The XO was plugged in and on a fast (cable)
internet connection via Airport wireless.  I did "su -l" and ran
"olpc-update 703".  It said "Downloading contents of build 703" for
about 1 hour.  It printed a couple routine messages about deleting
the old versions and making the clean version etc. Then it said:

Trying irsync_pristine update from rsync://updates.laptp.org/build-703
  - Cleaning tree.
  - Fetching contents.
  - Performing incremental rsync.

It has stayed on the last message for about 7 hours now, so I'm
guessing the update is stalled!  Therefore I have several questions:

(1) What went wrong and how do I fix it?
(2) Is it safe to ctrl-C out of olpc-update?
(3) Then what do I do?  Should I reboot and see what I get?  Or
should I do a "O" gamepad reboot and hope I'm back to 656?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bruce