[olpc-help] RTC Battery

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Wed Jun 4 15:54:54 EDT 2008

http://en.forum.laptop.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=430&p=533274#p533274

> 1) Where on the wiki or anywhere else is there a picture of the RTC
> battery or a schematic showing exactly where it is located?

Dunno.  Mel and SJ did something like this.  There was talk of doing
some sort of image map but I don't know if its up on the wiki.

> 2) Where can I find a serial/USB adaptor that I will need to complete
> the repair? I thought I had one that would work, but after seeing the
> ones on the wiki, mine looks nothing like those!

The official one is custom and you have to get it from us and we have a
a limited supply.  I'm got it on my list to get one added to stock
repair kit.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Serial_adapters

But any 3.3V TTL to rs232/USB will work.

> 3) Did I read that this can be done by soldering instead?  That might be
> easier than trying to find the right kind of adaptor.

Sure if you remove the SPI flash and solder on a new one or pop it in a
programmer and re-program it with firmware that does not page fault on
bad RTC data.  You need to be familiar with SMT rework and have the
proper tools.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child