[olpc-help] XO-1 Support in Cumming, GA ????

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 12:41:58 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Alan Moffatt <amoffatt at eworkz.net> wrote:
> I've reinstalled the 703 build using a USB drive but my toolbar at the
> bottom of the screen has vanished – what do I need to do to bring it back?

Excellent description of the problem, thanks..

Short Answer: the page you need is: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Xo-get

This will allow you to install the activities you're missing, if you
have a working network connection available. If not, you'll need a
seperate Activity Pack installed on a USB drive.

Long Answer:
The 703 release seperated the base software from the Activities with
the result that upgrading to 703 from a clean base (as you did when
you upgraded from USB) installs only the base software without any
activities:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Update.1_Software_Release_Notes

Once the 703 base is installed, you'll need to either install an
Activity Pack (which is a pre-selected set of Activities)

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_pack

or install the selected Activities individually using the Browse
Activity or (since you don't have that yet) using the command line and
wget:

1. type <CTRL> <ALT> <NEIGHBORHOOD> to get to a console screen.

2. log in as 'olpc' with no password.

3. type:
wget    http://xo-get.olpc.at/xo-get.py    ;    chmod    u+x    xo-get.py

4.  run it with
./xo-get.py

The available operations are:

./xo-get.py update
./xo-get.py list     ['categories' / category_name]
./xo-get.py search   keyword
./xo-get.py install  activity_name / activity_file.xo
./xo-get.py remove   activity_name / activity_file.xo / activity_directory
./xo-get.py start    activity_name
./xo-get.py status   ['log']

Use ./xo-get.py update first to update the list of available activities.

> I've connected to the Mesh network but no idea after reading through the
> entire "Getting Started" pdf I have no idea where the "web pages" are or how
> to type in a URL.

To browse web pages, you'll need the Browse Activity installed and
you'll need a working network connection.
Do you have a wireless access point (WiFi) available?
Does it show up on the neighborhood screen?
Are you able to connect successfully?

These are all secondary questions after you get the Browse activity installed.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com