[olpc-help] Forums question - HTTP vs HTTPS/security message

opus345 community-support at lists.laptop.org
Wed Jan 23 23:30:44 EST 2008

Folks,

The site is setup to always use a secure https connection.  A certificate is exchanged and then an encrypted tunnel is established between the client (you) and the server.  I suspect some pages may have graphics or links that are not https links or maybe posters have posted links that are not https links.

If you were sending sensitive data (credit card, SSN, etc.), then you would be very concerned about the warning.  For a support forum environment, there is not a huge risk.

I suspect that the forum software package may have a setting that would convert all links to https.  With the merging of osuosl.org and olpchelp.org, we may see this issue resolve itself.

Opus