[olpc-help] Sticky keyboard keys; Please RMA the laptops

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 20:00:20 EST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 7:45 PM, Anonymous <community-support at lists.laptop.org> wrote:

> I had the sticky keys issue show up at 36 days.  I was not able to get an RMA number.
>
> I ran the self test on the keyboard by pressing the left key on the keypad during startup.  When I type on the keyboard on keys near the Alt key, the Alt key keeps turning on and off and sometimes it stays on even when no keys are being pressed.
>
> Is there any recourse for those of us with this sticky keys issue past 30 days?

Best of my knowledge-

- the first units showing the problem and returned for RMA are just
now being made available to the developers for diagnosis.
- There is still considerable doubt whether this is a hardware-only
problem, a software-only problem or a combination. In other words, no
one has yet decided that it cannot be fixed in hardware. So there is
still hope.
- There are ongoing discussions about how to create a spare parts and
repair program, with significant effort toward building a
volunteer-only, cost of parts + donation only spares and repair
system. To premature to announce anything yet.

Hope this helps.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com