[olpc-help] Keyboard issues - stuck keys, keys registering erroneously

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Thu Jan 17 19:31:02 EST 2008

Anonymous wrote:

> This looks like a major release blocker problem... what are OLPC doing about it?

Units are on their way back to Quanta for root cause.  As soon as I have
  solid info to report back it will show up here.

> Surely manufacturing should be suspended until the keyboard problem is ironed out, especially as it appears to be hardware...

Overall the reported failure rate is currently much less than 1%.  In
the grand scheme of things the failure rate is in line with what you
would expect on a production line.

I understand that it sucks to be part of the failure group.  Quanta and
OLPC both want that % return rate to be as low as possible.

It  seems much higher for people on this list because few people post
here because their XO is working flawlessly.

These types of failures are normally associated to a specific batch of
stuff.  Due to the nature of doing the process in bulk, people who were
shipped multiple laptops had a really good chance of getting units that
were manufactured within a few days of each other.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child