[olpc-help] Making image of onboard flash for restore purposes

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Wed Jan 16 19:31:44 EST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 4:16 PM, Steve Holton <sph0lt0n at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2008 3:56 PM, Denver Gingerich <denver at ossguy.com> wrote:
> > It seems like doing a backup of the flash might be a bit of a hassle
> > given the firmware security.  Is it even worth it to try making a copy
> > of the flash?  Or can I get an image of the factory default flash
> > contents from somewhere else in case I need to restore?
>
> Your G1G1 XO contained the 650 build.  You can get a copy of the image
> and re-flash your XO to it any time you want.
> See the Main Page for links to the shipped (650), surrent stable (653)
> and Developer image files:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Main_Page

Ok, based on the information I've found there, it looks like I can do
the following to get back to factory default flash contents
(reference: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Autoreinstallation_image#Manual_downgrade):

copy-nand d:\boot\os650.img

This is done at the OK prompt (presumably booting off a USB device)
and d:\boot\os650.img is the os650.img file found at:

http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/official/650/jffs2/os650.img

Am I correct in saying that this will return my G1G1 laptop to the
factory default flash contents?

Denver