[olpc-help] Making image of onboard flash for restore purposes

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 16:16:12 EST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 3:56 PM, Denver Gingerich <denver at ossguy.com> wrote:

> I understand from the wiki that the G1G1 laptops have firmware
> security enabled by default so I will not be able to boot an external
> device unless I get a developer key.  Is that correct?  Can I get a
> developer key without booting the laptop?

You'll need a developer key to get into OpenFirmware and thereby
redirect to another boot device.
For more on the Developers Key, see:
-   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activation_and_Developer_Keys

Without a Developer key, you are limited to installing only signed
operating system images.

> It seems like doing a backup of the flash might be a bit of a hassle
> given the firmware security.  Is it even worth it to try making a copy
> of the flash?  Or can I get an image of the factory default flash
> contents from somewhere else in case I need to restore?

Your G1G1 XO contained the 650 build.  You can get a copy of the image
and re-flash your XO to it any time you want.
See the Main Page for links to the shipped (650), surrent stable (653)
and Developer image files:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Main_Page

> I've seen in other posts that one can backup and load a custom OS
> image with relative ease, but this seems to be just a part of the
> flash, not the whole thing.  This is why I'm wondering if I can get a
> perfect copy of the factory default flash image.

You can. And if you''re asking these kinds of questions, you probably
should. ;-)

> If this should be posted on another list, please let me know.  Please
> CC me in replies; I am not subscribed to the mailing list.

Lots more info in the Wiki, the Support Forums, or on IRC:

See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com