[olpc-help] External DC Power Jack Specs

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Jan 15 16:06:45 EST 2008

pgf wrote:

> there was some worry (over in the "other" forum :-) that using a
> narrower barrel could cause undue stress on the pin, since the plug
> would no longer be properly supported, physically.   for a 4.75
> barrel OD, do you think this is, or might be, an issue?

Did anyone have any hard data supporting this concern? I think after say
500k cycles of insertions there _could_ be something there, but I'd
doubt it.

I don't think I've ever seen such a failure in this style of DC jack.
I've _repaired_ hundreds of these type jacks but those are always the
case of somebody tripping over the cord and/or dropping the device
yanking on the jack and breaking it.

That or cracked solder joints where it mounts to the PCB causing a bad
electrical connection.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child