[olpc-help] Keyboard issues - stuck keys, keys registering erroneously

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Mon Jan 14 03:51:58 EST 2008

So, there I was, all set to ask for an RMA today (01/14) because of the left Alt key sticking intermittently, causing random results for any keyboard action, and generally making the machine unusable. This had been happening for several days after a couple of problem-free weeks of use.
Repeatedly pressing the key to attempt to free it did not have any consistent success.
I confirmed, using the keyboard diagnostics (hold the < game key during power-up), that the key was firing randomly, and was easily actuated by pressing, e.g., the fn key two to its left.
Then I tried lifting the plastic keyboard skin with a fingernail either side of the Alt key. This simple action appears to have restored normal operation again. YMMV of course. I'll post again if the problem reappears during normal use.
I'd add a comment to http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5658 if I knew how (or whether that's appropriate).