[olpc-help] HELP- where do i get my ssid anyway?

Steve Holton community-support at lists.laptop.org
Sun Jan 13 19:23:07 EST 2008

> No, the circle outline never gets white. The circle is half full and stays like this. I click once inside, it blinks, then stops and nothing happens.

You haven't given me much to go on, but, let's see where we can get.....

Unless your WAP is really far away, the 'half full' is a symptom it's using a channel other than 1, 6, or 11.   You will get better service from your WAP if you set it to use one of those channels.

Since the tuning is off, you /might/ be able to get connected by the 'click once to associate' technique after trying several times...basically getting lucky.  Not a great solution but it would rule-out other WiFi hardware problems.

Choosing the best solution will depend of several factors like:

- What kind of WAP do you have? (Apple AirPorts need to be treated differently than the rest.) Knowing brand and model is helpful. Make sure you have updated to the latest firmware release from the manufacturer.

- What kind of encryption are you using?

---

When you sent a request to help at laptop.org did you get a reply? What is the ticket number? I can look this up and see what's already been tried...

Steve Holton      http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support
Got an XO? Get on the map: http://tinyurl.com/37hmmm