[olpc-help] screen does not come on

Anonymous community-support at lists.laptop.org
Sun Jan 13 14:37:13 EST 2008

Richard A. Smith wrote:
> matt91 wrote:
>
> [Or You might be able to power up the XO and wait 31 days until the
> month value changes from 0 to 1, but I doubt anyone wants to do that]

Richard: Thank you for a very detailed description of the "no screen" problem!

Living in Norway, I obtained my OLPC through a friend in the US. Unfortunately I have the "no screen" problem and RMA from Norway really doesn't seem like an option for me... both cost and time wise.

Did I understand it correctly that I can:

1. open up the OLPC and make sure the clock battery is in place (and if necessary use some glue)

2. Plug it in, press on button

3. Leave it for a month until the month value changes from 0 to 1. At this point - will the boot sequence continue? Or should the OLPC be turned off and then on again?

Or - is it so that the internal clock starts ticking once the battery is in place again? In that case, I can't see why the computer has to be left on for a month. Shouldn't it be enough to just leave if off for a month until the month value changes and then power it up?

Best regards,

Martin