[olpc-help] where do i get my ssid anyway?

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 19:04:20 EST 2008

SSID is the formal name of your wireless access point.

It might be a default name like "netgear" or "linksys" or it might be a name
you gave to it to describe who's wireless access point it is "Jones Family
WAP" or where it is "3rd street Starbucks".

If you set it, you were probably using either the software that came with
the router, or you were using a web interface to configure the router.

It should show-up on the Neighborhood screen of your XO, unless you set it
(on your router) to be hidden.

The 'key' would have been the password you entered when you set up the
router.

On Jan 12, 2008 6:29 PM, Anonymous <community-support at lists.laptop.org>
wrote:

> i understand that i need my ssid to connect with a wap but i dont even
> know where to get that identification and i dont know where to get my
> wireless access point key number from my laptop. where would i find these?
> on my home computer? on the olpc laptop? I have wi-fi but i dont understand
> where the information is kept.
> if you could please help me understand this. I use computers a lot but not
> enough to know how to enter special codes or commands.
>
> --
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com