[olpc-help] community-support Digest, Vol 2, Issue 36

chuck418 at cox.net chuck418 at cox.net
Wed Jan 9 14:49:12 EST 2008

-
> From: "HackerAce" <community-support at lists.laptop.org>
>
> I have been able to attach to my WEP wireless router using iwconfig commands to set essid, key, and etc.
> After configuration I can ping my router and destinations on the internet by name.  When I launch the browser via Sugar I get "Page not found"
What gives?  [Shocked]
 Sounds like you have wireless but no DNS yet.
check by trying  to get your IP , if you see:
IP 169.254.6.30 subnet 255.255.0.0
and Broadcast 169.254.255.255
rather than

IP Address: 192.168.0.3 , Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
 Broadcast: 192.168.0.255 , Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1 is the internet.

Try:
to manually configure it you should be able to
do something like this (assuming no WEP is set):

   /sbin/iwconfig                  # should show you which device is the wireless one
   /sbin/iwconfig [dev] essid any  # [dev] should be whatever you found above

That'll setup the wireless part.  The next part is to run the DHCPclient.  I'm not sure which one will be installed on your machine, so you can try both these commands and see which works:

   /sbin/dhclient [dev]  pretty sure this is the one
OR
   /sbin/dhcpcd [dev]

And that'll hopefully get an IP from dhcp.  See if you can run ifconfigto verify if you specify the path:

   /sbin/ifconfig

And see if you got the right IP.  wget often lives in /usr/bin/wget soyou can try the path for that too.  When you su to root you often get amore restrive path, which may be why you are having trouble running the commands.

As always, if someone who actually KNOWS Linux would look at this and correct it for the group, that would be swell. I didn't put in the part about how to get to the Terminal, how to become Root or SU, or any of the premiminary stuff, so if you don't understand how to get to here, ask.

Best,
chuck 2.0
Perfection is a goal, Improvement is a method.