[olpc-help] Problems with text on cllpboard & question about printing.

Chih-yu Chao chihyu at mit.edu
Tue Jan 8 18:07:12 EST 2008

Hi Martha,

On Jan 8, 2008 5:31 PM, marza <community-support at lists.laptop.org> wrote:
> The problem I'm having is moving text between activities. If I copy some text from a web page onto the side bar end then open it in write, I end up getting garbage (where garbage = some of the letters of the original text and lots of question marks) and I can't drag or open it anywhere else.

Whenever you hit Ctrl-c, the text is copied to the clipboard. (check
the upper left corner when you see the frame)
You can directly drag that clipboard item after you launch Write. If
you can't see the clipboard, click the "frame-toggle" key (upper right
corner of the keyboard), and you should see it.

> If I copy some text in write, I can open it in a new write window, but I can't drag it into, for example, the text box when I'm composing an email in the web version of gmail or into this text box (just tried). Am I missing something obvious here?

Hit Ctrl-v instead of dragging any item over.

> Also, as to printing, I understand why printing is a low priority for the target users of the OLPC, and I totally respect the development priorities there. That said, I was wondering if anyone had fooled around with creating/installing a printer driver that works with Sugar. I don't need a spiffy UI; I'd be fine with something that required me to save a file and then print from the command line. Anyone? I'm willing to experiment - I already have a rescue USB flash drive in case it's a disasterous fail, but I'd be happier trying it with something I thought at least might work.

The developers are still working on it. If you are interested, check
out the links in this section:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_FAQ#Can_I_print_from_the_XO_laptop.3F

Hope this helps,
Chih-yu