[olpc-help] Problems with text on cllpboard & question about printing.

marza community-support at lists.laptop.org
Tue Jan 8 17:31:54 EST 2008

Hey, thanks to everyone who contributes here.

Overall, my OLPC has been a lot of fun. Wireless has worked fine everywhere I've used it, I added a USB mouse,USB flash drive and an SD card w/o major  problems and I'm even getting used to typing on the keyboard.

The problem I'm having is moving text between activities. If I copy some text from a web page onto the side bar end then open it in write, I end up getting garbage (where garbage = some of the letters of the original text and lots of question marks) and I can't drag or open it anywhere else.

If I copy some text in write, I can open it in a new write window, but I can't drag it into, for example, the text box when I'm composing an email in the web version of gmail or into this text box (just tried). Am I missing something obvious here?

Also, as to printing, I understand why printing is a low priority for the target users of the OLPC, and I totally respect the development priorities there. That said, I was wondering if anyone had fooled around with creating/installing a printer driver that works with Sugar. I don't need a spiffy UI; I'd be fine with something that required me to save a file and then print from the command line. Anyone? I'm willing to experiment - I already have a rescue USB flash drive in case it's a disasterous fail, but I'd be happier trying it with something I thought at least might work.

Thanks,
Martha