[olpc-help] OpenOffice Files in Write Activity?

BruceM community-support at lists.laptop.org
Mon Jan 7 18:13:59 EST 2008

Ron Atkins wrote:
> Rick,
>
> I see on the "save menu" that OLPC's AbiWord supports RTF, HTML, and TXT. Of the three, RTF (Rich Text Formatting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Text_Format)) is your best choice for format retention (note: if your images are not embedded, you will need to copy them over separately, and possibly reconnect them from inside your new RTF document).

Watch out, however, the "rtf"produced by Write is not the ordinary rtf; it is an AbiWord-format file.  However, if you have AbiWord on your Mac or PC, you can load this pseudo-rtf file, and write it out as real (ordinary) rtf, or as Open doc (.odt), .doc, html, latex, and other formats.

Conversely, Write cannot load ordinary rtf files (e.g., copied to the Journal from a USB stick) and messes up txt files (converting double-blanks to an Ê-blank pair).

You can start a new Write activity and type ctrl-N and it will put Write in AbiWrite mode.  Then you can use AbiWrite as usual, but you will be loading/saving files to the Linux file system (not to the Journal).

It would really by nice to have better text-file interoperability between the XO and other systems.

Bruce