[olpc-help] Do 6-12 year old kids "get" tagging and searching?

Steve Holton community-support at lists.laptop.org
Mon Jan 7 08:32:56 EST 2008

> They do, but does this, in fact, take the form of typing these description into the "tag" and "description" fields of journal entries? Are kids really doing this spontaneously?

I've been observing this in my own childern. My 8 year old is slow to learn to read, primarily (it would seem) because he hasn't felt the need for it. He has a phenomenal memory for places, images and relatonships. If I quote a line from a story, he can show me the book and page, and tell me what I got wrong, although he would struggle to read the individual words on that page.

You and I, long-time literate types, have learned the power and versatility of the written word, and we have come to rely on it. Children who do not yet have that tool in their toolbelt will find other ways of accomplishing the same tasks.

We can but stand amazed at their ingenuity.

Steve Holton      http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support
Got an XO? Get on the map: http://tinyurl.com/37hmmm