[olpc-help] Do 6-12 year old kids "get" tagging and searching?

dpbsmith community-support at lists.laptop.org
Mon Jan 7 08:20:57 EST 2008

(Sorry for multiple posts... having some problems with the forum software)

As a non-child brainwashed by using a Mac since 1984, I find the Journal difficult to use. I'm curious to know whether kids are really "getting" the idea of tagging and searching. It all feels very analytical, literate, and left-brained to me.

I feel some cognitive dissonance between a target audience of 6-12 and the tagging/searching paradigm. The guidelines say

> Tagging will become a fundamental process for all types of data and activities on the laptops. Fortunately, children have a natural inclination to describe their world and the things they see and do.

They do, but does this, in fact, take the form of typing these description into the "tag" and "description" fields of journal entries? Are kids really doing this spontaneously?